Employee Handbook Writing
Is your employee handbook up to date? Handbooks are not static documents. At a minimum, they should be reviewed and updated as needed at least once every 2 years. Laws change and new case law precedents are set frequently. Regulatory agencies such as the EEOC, Department of Labor, OFCCP, and NLRB hand down rulings every year that impact employers whether they are aware of them or not. In court, a well-written handbook can be your best friend; but a poorly written handbook can be a “smoking gun”! We can write an employee handbook for you, tailored to your particular needs.
- Have you updated your handbook within the last 2 years?
- Do you have the proper disclaimers in place?
- Is the proper “Non-contract” language in place?
- Have you established Employment-at-Will for your company?
- Do you have the most recent, up-to-date language for your Harassment and Bullying policies?
- Have you included a policy for reporting harassment and preventing retaliation?
- Have all employees signed an acknowledgment of receipt for the handbook?
- Have you included at least the following policies in your handbook?
- Non-Contract Language
- Employer right to change policies as needed
- Definition of Employment Categories
- How to handle reference requests
- Conflict of Interest Issues
- Outside Employment
- Pay Issues, such as pay frequency, pay day, the payroll week, timekeeping, direct deposit, payroll deductions, hours of work, and overtime
- Attendance policy
- Performance reviews
- Medical Leave of Absence (non-FMLA)
- FMLA (if 50 or more employees)
- Worker’s Compensation Leave
- Military Leave
- Paid and Unpaid Time Off: Bereavement, Holiday Pay, Vacation, Sick Time, Personal Time. Voting time, Jury /Witness duty. Federal law does not require paid time off, but many state laws do. For example, in Arizona, all employers are required to have a Paid Sick Pay policy in place.
- Data Systems Protection Policy, including reserving all rights to the employer
- Social Networking
- Dress Code
- Workplace Violence
- Workplace Safety
- Right to Search
- Drug Testing policy
- Code of Conduct
- Company Expectations
- Disciplinary Policy
Get In Touch
We are looking forward to hearing from you!